Beyonce has lost out of this award three times for her album and once more as a featured artiste.
Blacks are known to for being some of the foremost pioneers of popular American music.
As such, they’ve been nominated for some of the honours at music award shows.
The list of African Americans who have been bestowed with the Grammys for Album of the Year are very few, though.
And so far, Stevie Wonder‘s to thank for three of those wins.
In 59 Grammy ceremonies there have only been 12 black winners of the album of the year category
3 of them were a Stevie Wonder
— Jack Freeman (@_jackfreeman) February 13, 2017
Here is a list of black stars who have been fortunate enough to claim the coveted Album of the Year award at the Grammys.
1. Stevie Wonder, Innervisions (1973)
That year he took home a Grammy for Album of The Year. The album was released in August 1973 during the classic period of Stevie’s career.
2. Stevie Wonder, Fulfillingness’ First Finale (July 22, 1974)
3. Stevie Wonder, Songs in the key of life (September 28, 1976)
Songs in the key of life is known as Stevie Wonders best-selling and most critically acclaimed album of his career.
4. Michael Jackson, Thriller (1984)
5. Lionel Richie, Can’t Slow Down (1985)
6. Quincy Jones, Back on the Block (1990)
7. Natalie Cole, Unforgettable…With Love (1992)
8. Whitney Houston, The Bodyguard: Original Soundtrack (1994)
9. Lauryn Hill, The Miseducation of Lauryn Hill (1999)
10. Outkast, Speakerboxxx/The Love Below (2004)
11. Ray Charles, Genius Loves Company (2005)
12. Herbie Hanknock, River: The Joni Letters (2008)
And 10 years later, Chance the Rapper wins the category with his album – Coloring Book (2017)
Ⓒ Copyright NET News Ltd. All Rights Reserved. Please use sharing tools. Do not cut, copy or lift any content from this website without our consent.