On Monday, February 29, 2016, Gianni Infantin, the new president of global football governing body, FIFA assumed office. He emerged president last Friday after a rigorous process which saw elections held twice.
Here is everything you need to know about the new head honcho who takes over in Zurich.
- Gianni Infantin was born in Brig, Switzerland on March 23, 1970.
- He however holds dual citizenship. He is an Italian and also a Swiss.
- He speaks 6 languages including Italian, French and German fluently while he also communicates in English, Spanich and Arabic.
- He started his professional career working as the Secretary General of the International Center for Sports Studies (CIES) at the University of Neuchâtel in Switzerland.
- He joined UEFA in 2000 and rose to become the Director of Legal Affairs and Club Licensing Division within 4 years.
- He later became UEFA General Secretary in 2009, two years after serving as a deputy Sec Gen.
- Gianni declared his interest to contest for FIFA presidency on October 26, 2015 after receiving backing from UEFA executive committee.
- He is married to a Lebanese native, Leena Al Ashqar and together they have 4 kids.
- He is a fan of Seria A side, Inter Milan where Obafemi Martins and Kanu Nwankwo once played professionally.
Ⓒ Copyright NET News Ltd. All Rights Reserved. Please use sharing tools. Do not cut, copy or lift any content from this website without our consent.