As Nigeria battles to contain the spread of novel coronavirus in the country, sporting, entertainment and social activities are being suspended as part of precautionary measures.
On Tuesday the Federal Government announced the suspension of the 2020 National Sports Festival (NSF) which was earlier billed to hold in Edo State from Sunday March 22, 2020 to Wednesday April 1.
Though the Federal Government is yet to ban social activities and large gathering of people across the country like other African nations – South Africa, Sierra Leone, Kenya and Ghana have done, a number of Nigerian entertainers are, however, taking precautionary measures by suspending their planned shows and tours.
Here are some Nigerian stars who have suspended their shows due to coronavirus scare:
David Adeleke aka Davido was the first Nigerian star to announce the cancellation of his planned show – ‘A Good Time Tour’.
In a Twitter post on Friday March 13, he told fans he is saddened to halt the North America tour which he said had sold out. “The health and safety of my fans and staff is most paramount and nothing else matters,” the singer tweeted.
I’m saddened to halt what has been a fantastic sold-out tour so far, but postponing is the right thing to do. The health and safety of my fans and staff is most paramount and nothing else matters. Be safe and see you all soon! God be with us all! pic.twitter.com/NSG6Y5SltN
— Davido (@davido) March 13, 2020
Bukola Elemide aka Asa who has been updating her fans on social media with photos and videos of sound check for her upcoming ‘Lucid Tour’ concert in Europe has also announced the cancellation of the concert and has returned to Lagos where she said she will be physically distancing herself.
Asa, however, said her planned shows in Lagos and Abuja – on Saturday April 11 and Easter Monday April 13 respectively – will go on as planned.
She also said she would be doing acoustic live session from home and has asked her fans to send in their song requests.
#throwback to sound check last week. I miss the road but safety first. I am back home in Lagos & physically distancing myself. I’ll be doing an acoustic live session from home. I’ll announce time soon. Send me your song requests. ❤️🦅 pic.twitter.com/qFu9dIfwa7
— Asa (@Asa_official) March 17, 2020
— Asa (@Asa_official) March 13, 2020
3. Beautiful Nubia
Beautiful Nubia announced on Wednesday morning that he is cancelling his concert billed to hold in four states in Nigeria from Saturday March 21 to Sunday April 5, 2020.
The concert was supposed to kickoff in Ibadan, Oyo State on Saturday March 21; then move to Ogba in Lagos on Sunday March 22; Obafemi Awolowo University (OAU) in Ile-Ife, Osun State on Thursday March 26; Ilorin in Kwara State on Friday March 27 and end in Ikoyi, Lagos on Sunday April 5. He assured fans who have bought tickets that their payment would be refunded while new dates will also be announced when the crisis is over.
Dear Music Friends,
We have decided to postpone the concerts billed for the months of March and April in accordance with recommendations regarding the ongoing global health crisis.
To everyone who has already paid for tickets, please contact 0813775008 and your payment 👇👇👇 pic.twitter.com/P4LsO5KaUY
— Beautiful Nubia (@Beautiful_Nubia) March 18, 2020
4. Femi Kuti
The Afrobeat singer has also suspended his spring European tour over the coronavirus crisis.
Femi Kuti had planned to kickoff his tour in Belgium on Thursday 26th March, 2020 and travel to France (March 28 and 29), Switzerland (March 27), Sweden (March 31) and Norway where the concert was billed to end on Thursday April 2 and Friday April 3, 2020. He, however, announced on Tuesday that the tour has been cancelled “due to the prevailing circumstances”.
5. I Go Dye
Popular comedian Francis Agoda aka I Go Dye, on Wednesday, also announced that he is postponing the planned show to celebrate his 25th anniversary on stage due to concerns over coronavirus.
In a post on his Instagram page he explained that it does not feel right for him to celebrate his silver jubilee anniversary while the crisis is on.
View this post on Instagram
PRESS RELEASE DUE TO THE GLOBAL THREATS FROM #coronavirus #covid_19 ,MY FORTH COMING SILVER ANNIVERSARY ON STAGE, #igodyestanding ,KINGING WITH THE KINGS PLATINUM EDITION , AS BEEN POSTPONED .This period calls for concern and sober reflection,it’s a moment of trying times. I can’t be celebrating now, As cases of coronavirus disease continue to be identified in countries around the world, the effort to stem its spread has kept some 290 million students home from school. According to the United Nations, as of Tuesday, 22 February. I feel for those who are affected globally. We may not be directly affected for now,but there are many people globally that are been put under pressure, fear and threat of sudden death. As I pray for lasting peace,I ask for prayers and goodwill to be shared among us. The life of our neighbors mean a lot,we should accept this moment as a divine opportunity to show love to one another.For the sake of my fans,brothers, sisters and all those kept in isolation globally, because of corona virus ,I share in their pains and I and my partner @primeview_label has decided to put down this celebration because of the cases. I appeal to countries that have created vaccines and working to create a lasting cure to share their discoveries so as to being back peace and hood health to our lives. In Africa we may not be so lucky with medical advancement and social support, but we can share the little we can as a people, by sharing the informations to reduce it’s tendency to spread remember #alwayswashyourhand Amb Francis Agoda.
6. Burna Boy
A concert billed to hold in Namibia on Sunday April 4 2020, where the Afrofusion singer was to perform has also been cancelled due to the outbreak of coronavirus in the country. The concert is part of his ‘African Giant Tour’.
The suspension of public gatherings by the Namibian government on Saturday March 14, including the nation’s Independence celebrations which would have held on Saturday March 21st, led to the cancellation of the show.
Burna Boy is, however, yet to announce if his Saturday March 21 concert in Suriname (a small country on the northeastern coast of South America) would still hold as planned.
Meanwhile in the sports world, Nigerian footballer John Mikel Obi, on Monday, terminated his contract with Turkish football club Trabzonspor “on mutual consent” over the refusal of the Turkish Super Lig to suspend league matches like their counterparts in England, Spain, Italy, Germany and France as well as UEFA continental matches.
In an Instagram post, Mikel, who had refused to play due to coronavirus fears, called for the cancellation of the league, saying “there is more to life than football”.
Ⓒ Copyright NET News Ltd. All Rights Reserved. Please use sharing tools. Do not cut, copy or lift any content from this website without our consent.